The Guinness PRO14 is a rugby union competition involving professional sides from Ireland, Italy, Scotland, South Africa and Wales. The league runs from September to April each year, after which the top teams face each other in a playoff for a spot in a grand final which is played at the end of May.
Sotic has been working with the league organisers since 2009 and in the time the website has been redesigned a number of times, most recently in 2016 when it was launched for the start of the new season.
This was a ground-up rebuild that saw a move to Sotic’s sports CMS, based on WordPress, and a complete overhaul on design and layout so that it could be developed mobile-first.
The site features:
• Clean and simple navigation
• Content aggregators mixing media types (video, imagery, news, feature posts and match previews and reports) and related media suggestions, allowing the user to tailor their journey around the site.
• A custom feature-story post type allowing PRO14 to generate engaging long-form content that looks distinct from regular news.
• A super click matchcentre, updated in real-time during matches and with an intuitive layout enabling fans to get a full overview of each match, the stats, the players involved as well as all the crucial scores.
• Fully integrated live and historical statistics for players and teams
• Advertising and data capture opportunities through the site
Ahead of the start of the 2017 season the league was revamped with the inclusion of two South African teams and a conference structure was adopted. Sotic were able to seamlessly re-brand the site, restructure the competition and statistical modules on the website to incorporate two additional teams and their players within a tight timeframe so that the site was competition-ready for Round 1 at the beginning of September 2017.
In addition to the website, Sotic also provide a media accreditation platform, a content service and a bulk mailing platform used by Guinness PRO14.