Cloud Engineer Vacancy – Cardiff
We are currently recruiting for a Cloud Engineer based in our Cardiff HQ. Read on for more information about the role.
Based in the booming tech hub of Cardiff, Sotic is an award-winning specialist provider of digital services, websites and software applications to the sports industry.
Trusted by some of the biggest names in sport, since 2002 Sotic has been working with leading rights-holders including the Six Nations, Premiership Rugby, Tour of Britain Cycling, International Motorsport, Aberdeen FC and World Sailing to deliver cutting edge online experiences for their fans.
Our growth has been achieved by remaining focused solely on this industry, developing practical solutions which meet the unique day-to-day needs of the sector. Our commitment to Open Source solutions, using the latest technology and above all our dedication to providing world-class support to all our customers sets Sotic apart from the competition.
We pride ourselves on creating an atmosphere of autonomy and our conscientious, self-motivated and committed team members enjoy our culture of flexible working patterns and reciprocal support. Our values are quality, innovation and passion and we endeavour to incorporate those values into everything we do!
The Team and Role
We are looking for an experienced Cloud Engineer to work with our existing Platform team. Our close-knit teams work very collaboratively, and we have embraced key tenets of DevOps and SRE such as CI/CD, tooling, monitoring & measurement, automation, and silo-less information sharing. We intend to stay at the forefront of technology and have adopted a Cloud-first strategy; we are currently all-in on AWS and a registered AWS Technology Partner.
Our platform team goal is to deliver excellent services both external and internally. The websites and digital services we manage are heavily relied upon by their users including top sports organisation and sports fans within the UK and world-wide. We also provide the tools and services which allow our colleagues in the Development Engineering and Build teams to work efficiently and effectively.
Day to Day responsibilities will include:
• Management of systems and services which deliver live websites and web services
• Contributing to and implementing an ongoing technology & platform improvement roadmap
• Swift and effective resolution of any service impacting issues
• Management and support of internal IT systems used by staff in Cardiff and around the UK
• Identifying and communicating opportunities to improve service efficiency, cost effectiveness, performance and availability.
The team primarily work off a Kanban board, and have also adopted some elements of Agile SCRUM.
• Working within the Platform team, the ideal candidate will have some experience in a similar position and of working with KanBan and/or Agile Scrum. You will understand the value of non-functional requirements, and of meeting SLAs and similar service targets.
• You should have some of the Core skills listed below to a level of competence, and ideally one or more of the Specialisms in depth, meaning you can provide technical leadership in that area. More importantly you must be able to demonstrate a genuine passion for technology. We value the ability to learn more highly than a large current skill-set.
• You should be driven to deliver excellent services, and to continually improve. Your ability to troubleshoot and diagnose issues should be top-notch, demonstrating a calm and logical approach even during high-profile issues. Moreover, you will wish to address the root cause of an issue, and you will see automation as a necessity rather than a nice-to-have.
Core technical skills
• AWS services – (ideally supported by AWS Intermediate Certification)
o EC2, RDS, CloudWatch, ECS, S3, ALB, CloudFront
• Docker and Containerisation
• Cyber Security
• Supporting Development engineers and deployment processes
o CI/CD, Git
• Web delivery technologies
o NGINX, browsers, CDN, etc
• Web site performance
• Diagnostics and troubleshooting
• Monitoring and measurement
Useful Specialisms (to understand in depth and provide technical leadership):
• Advanced automation
o One+ of Python, CloudFormation, Lambda, Terraform, Go, Chef / Puppet / Ansible
• Advanced Developer Engineer support
• AWS Architecture and Design
o designing for Resilience, Performance, Security, Cost, Efficiency, etc
• Advanced Docker and Containerisation
• Advanced Cyber Security
o SQL, MySQL, performance diagnostics and troubleshooting
• Staff IT support
o Windows, OS X
• Synology NAS
• e-mail (routing, Spam, SPF, DKIM)
We offer a salary of circa £30k per annum depending on experience.
Our office hours are 9:00am to 5:30pm with match support duty, some evening/weekend working (on average 1 weekend day and 1 evening per month) with time off in lieu.
Sotic is a flexible employer.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a letter of why you feel you would fit in with Sotic to email@example.com