Software Engineer – Cardiff
Software Engineer – Cardiff
Based in the booming tech hub of Cardiff, Sotic is an award-winning specialist provider of digital services, websites and software applications to the sports industry.
Trusted by some of the biggest names in sport, since 2002 Sotic has been working with leading rights-holders including the Six Nations, Premiership Rugby, Tour of Britain Cycling, International Motorsport, Aberdeen FC and World Sailing to deliver cutting edge online experiences for their fans.
Our growth has been achieved by remaining focused solely on this industry, developing practical solutions which meet the unique day-to-day needs of the sector.
Our commitment to Open Source solutions, using the latest technology and above all our dedication to providing world-class support to all our customers sets Sotic apart from the competition.
We pride ourselves on creating an atmosphere of autonomy and our conscientious, self-motivated and committed team members enjoy our culture of flexible working patterns and reciprocal support. Our values are quality, innovation and passion and we endeavour to incorporate those values into everything we do!
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to work with our existing Development team.
The Technical Environment
We have an established set of web-based products including live scoring, match statistics, tournament management and online booking, membership and registration systems. Visitor and view numbers can be very high for our web sites, especially during live sporting events and we are often working to tight deadlines in a pressured environment.
All of our services are hosted in the Cloud on AWS. Most of our products run on a LAMP/LEMP stack, and we are migrating some of these to serverless technologies such as Lambda, SNS and DynamoDB. We are also interested in the potential of emerging technologies, such as AI.
- You’re enthusiastic about what you do every day
- You like to ask questions and actively explore new ways of solving problems
- You enjoy supporting and coaching others, sharing your knowledge, skills and experience.
- Quality is important to you; you relish championing high quality software development
- You enjoy being asked to solve challenging problems
- You like to use the latest programming technologies and practices and are keen to embrace new ideas
- You relish both creating Proofs of Concepts and developing these into scalable applications
- You will enjoy an environment with significant autonomy, with a small hierarchy enabling quick decision making.
- You are used to working to deadlines and understand the commercial needs of our client base
You will be part of the team that manages and maintains our existing non-website products, whilst developing new software services for our high-profile client base.
You will spend a significant amount of your time hands-on coding and will value efficiency, security and quality.
As part of the development team you will collaborate with our platform, build and front-end teams on exciting and unique projects such as statistical data integration across live digital sport.
We currently use a number of technologies and methodologies. You may not have experience with all of these, but you should have a passion to learn and adopt them and a willingness to investigate and further your knowledge (a passion and willingness we will support):
- 2-3 years of commercial development experience, using Object-Oriented Programming in a language such as PHP or Python using SOLID principles and design patterns
- Experience of Relational Databases (pref MySQL), including complex queries and optimisation
- Experience of designing, architecting and implementing client facing software solutions
- Knowledge of Test Driven Development (PHPSpec, PHPUnit TDD)
- CI and CD (Git, Subversion, Jenkins)
- Frameworks such a Laravel or Zend
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Agile Scrum / KanBan
- Work in a DevOps environment
Salary between £30k-£35k depending on experience.
Our office hours are 9:00am to 5:30pm with match support duty, some evening/weekend working (on average 1 weekend day and 1 evening per month) with time off in lieu.
Sotic is a flexible employer.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please send your CV and a letter of why you feel you would fit in with Sotic to email@example.com