We have an opportunity for an experienced Backend Senior Developer to lead our existing development team. You will be working on a number of different products and will lead the ongoing transformation to a Cloud-optimised architecture, including implementation of serverless code.
Based in the booming tech hub of Cardiff, Sotic is an award-winning specialist provider of digital services, websites and software applications to the sports industry.
Trusted by some of the biggest names in sport, since 2002 Sotic has been working with leading rights-holders including the Six Nations, Ladies European Tour Golf, Tour of Britain Cycling, Aberdeen FC and World Sailing to deliver cutting edge online experiences for their fans.
Our growth has been achieved by remaining focused solely on this industry, developing practical solutions which meet sport’s unique day-to-day needs.
Our commitment to Open Source solutions, using the latest technology and above all our dedication to providing world-class support to all our customers sets Sotic apart from the competition.
We pride ourselves on creating an atmosphere of autonomy and our conscientious, self-motivated and committed team members enjoy our culture of flexible working patterns and reciprocal support. Our values are quality, innovation and passion and we endeavour to incorporate those values into everything we do!
- You’re enthusiastic about what you do every day, and can nurture that enthusiasm in others
- You like to ask questions and actively explore new ways of solving problems
- You enjoy mentoring and coaching your team, sharing your knowledge, skills and experience.
- Quality is important to you; you relish championing high quality software development
- You enjoy being asked to solve challenging problems
- You like to use the latest programming technologies and practices and are keen to embrace new ideas and make Proofs of Concept into scalable applications.
We have an established set of web-based products including live scoring, match statistics, tournament management and online booking systems.
All of our services are hosted in the Cloud on AWS. Most of our products run on a LAMP/LEMP stack, and we are migrating some of these to serverless technologies on such as Lambda, SNS and DynamoDB. We are also interested in the potential of emerging technologies, such as AI. You will lead the development aspects of these initiatives, as well as proposing new initiatives to deliver business benefit.
You will be the owner of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), driving the quality, security, effectiveness and efficiency of the software produced. Your responsibilities will include the continuous improvement and maintenance of our products, and developing new services through design, architecture, PoC (where appropriate) and, implementation.
You will mentor other members of your team, collaborating with our platform and front-end teams and advising managers and stakeholders. You’ll work closely with your peer Team Leaders of First Line, Build and Platform, forming part of the Team Lead and Managers group.
We currently use a number of technologies and methodologies. We realise that you may not have experience with all of these, but you should have a passion to learn and adopt them and a willingness to investigate and further your knowledge (a passion and willingness we will support)
- 3 or more years of commercial development experience
- Experience of designing, architecting and implementing client facing software solutions
- Experience of Relational Databases (MySQL), including complex queries and optimisation
- Object-Oriented Programming in a language such as PHP or Python using SOLID principles and design patterns
- Knowledge of Test Driven Development (PHPSpec, PHPUnit TDD)
- CI and CD (Git, Subversion, Jenkins)
- Frameworks such a Laravel or Zend
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Agile Scrum / KanBan
- Work in a DevOps environment
Salary depending on experience.
Our office hours are 9:00am to 5:30pm with match support duty, some evening/weekend working (on average 1 weekend day and 1 evening per month) with time off in lieu.
To apply please send your CV with a covering letter highlighting your suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
NO AGENCIES PLEASE